Cannon Street, Salford, Manchester, M3 7EU
0161 832 4664
0161 835 2915
forward into the future
Under Section 78 of the Education Act (2002) schools are required, as part of a broad and balanced curriculum, to promote the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils or SMSC development. At The Friars Primary School, our SMSC provision is based on Department for Education (2014) guidance: Promoting fundamental British values as part of SMSC in schools: Departmental advice for maintained schools.
Through our SMSC provision, with due regard for British values and our school values, we seek to:
• enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence - this is reflected in our school's shared value of happiness;
• enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
• encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely - this is reflected in our school's shared values of happiness, achievement and determination; and
• enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England.
The following relate strongly to our shared value of respect:
• to further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures - this is reflected in our school's shared value of respect;
• to encourage respect for other people; and
• to encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
Fundamental British values can be summarised as:
At The Friars Primary School, we will actively challenge children, staff or parents/carers expressing opinions contrary to fundamental British values, including those expressing extremist views.
Achievement- Determination- Happiness- Respect